Saturday 13 March 2010

13th March 2010

Carrion Crow calls coming from near my bedroom helped to wake me up early this morning, and I was surprised to see a group of 30 Carrion Crows in trees nearby. I'd never seen so many in my village before but have seen even larger gatherings at Earlswood, and it just goes to show that groups of large crows should never be presumed to be Rooks.

Walking to Earlswood, presumably the same male Yellowhammer was still singing at Fulford Heath, and I also heard a male Common Pheasant there - my first at Earlswood this year at long last, though Bob Roberts has already had up to two in the area this year. Reaching New Fallings Coppice, 2 Goldcrests there caused me to change my plan and I decided to have a good search of the wood and Clowes Wood. I only managed to locate 1 more Goldcrest, but also 8+ Treecreepers, 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 32 Redwings, a Buzzard and 3 Mallards (along brook - unusual). Also, after about 90 minutes of searching, I found a Marsh Tit in Little Clowes Wood, along the railway on the northern side - I've seen no more than one this year, whereas two were resident last year, so hopefully this species isn't going to disappear from the area.

On to the lakes, where a 4th Goldcrest was seen at Mereside Pools, plus a 9th Treecreeper around Terry's Pool. There were 2 Mute Swans at Engine Pool, and 3 Pochards circled over before flying down to Windmill Pool; but with the boats out they were nowhere to be seen by the time I got there, though a Kingfisher and the Muscovy Duck were there.

I continued to Earlswood Moathouse NR, but a Buzzard overhead was the most notable bird seen, although a 5th Goldcrest was heard in a nearby Earlswood Common garden. Going home, noted a Kestrel along Springbrook Lane.

M.P. Griffiths

No comments: