Tuesday 9 February 2010

9th February 2010

I was at the lakes for much of the morning. Saw a Sparrowhawk over Engine Pool again - have seen one on each visit this month so far - though this time the bird was being mobbed by a brave Collared Dove. At Terry's Pool, saw 4 Goosanders and a Kingfisher, plus just 1 Siskin and a Stock Dove, whilst a Buzzard flew over followed by a Raven a little later. To be honest, a pleasant surprise was a Muscovy Duck, which I first saw at Windmill Pool and then saw at the other two pools - okay it's just some escape, but I always find it nice to see an unexpected species at my patch, plus it seems to be a new one for Earlswood's Category D and E list *everyone rolls eyes*. Noted 8 more Stock Doves in a horse pasture near Windmill Pool, with 3+ Lesser Redpolls seen along the track in that area. Leaving the lakes, saw possibly the same Raven over Biddles Hill (Terry's Green). Noted a total of 3 or 4 Buzzards in the Earlswood area.
M.P. Griffiths

3 comments:

mike said...

Great to read your blog...my wife and I have been birdwatching round Earlswood/Clowes Wood for several years and there's always a good variety of birds, with the chance of something unexpected...

mike said...

Great to hear news from someone else who treks around Earlswood. My wife and I have been scouring the area for the last few years and it's always possible to find the unexpected....

Matt Griffiths said...

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the comment. Do you keep records of the birds you see at Earlswood? I'm hoping to produce a bird report and would appreciate any records you might have.
Kind regards,
Matt