Thursday 22 October 2009

22nd October 2009

Coming away from Solihull in the car with my mom during the late afternoon, almost didn't go to Earlswood because I was feeling a bit tired, but my mom was in the wrong lane going over an island and had to take a road heading towards Earlswood, so thought I might as well get her to drop me off there seeing as I had my bins with me. GLAD I DID!!! At the causeway, whilst trying to locate a wagtail I could hear calling nearby, I saw a pipit foraging on a bit of shore at Windmill Pool's northernmost corner - it was a Rock Pipit, an uncommon passage migrant in the midlands yet my second at Earlswood this month! Spent many minutes watching it until it moved to Engine Pool's dam and made its way along there towards the engine house, before flying up a short distance then flying down again to somewhere near the lakes' Wood Lane car park (West Midlands county!), where I reckon it roosted. By then it was rapidly getting dark, and the only other bird I'd noted was the White-cheeked Pintail at Windmill Pool. At Terry's Pool, I was treated to 2 Tawny Owls calling, one of which I also saw on two occasions as a silhouette in trees and in flight; 2 bats were also seen there.
M.P. Griffiths

No comments: