Tuesday 8 September 2009

8th September 2009

On my way to Earlswood on the bike during the early morning, I realised my front tyre had a puncture but carried on regardless! Saw 4 Swallows along Cleobury Lane over the two farmhouses. Not a lot was at the lakes, apart from a Kingfisher seen and a Green Woodpecker heard at Terry's Pool, and a Chiffchaff heard near the causeway. Most notable though was the fact that not a single Common Tern was seen - this is the first time I haven't seen any at the lakes since the spring!

Despite the punctured tyre, I carried on to Blythe Valley Country Park because I'd planned to visit it today. I was rewarded with a Hobby briefly over the Blythe Meres area (swooped down at something but was apparently unsuccessful), a possible Willow Tit in Hawkeshaw Wood, a Kingfisher (heard only) along the River Blythe, 2 Tufted Ducks and 2 Green Woodpeckers near the hide, and 80+ Goldfinches at the Marlpit Fields area. By the way, the West Midland Bird Club's website now has a page about the Blythe Valley nestbox project.

Coming back through Earlswood on my way home, had 2 Kestrels and 124 Starlings along Wood Lane.

M.P. Griffiths

No comments: