Tuesday 15 September 2009

15th September 2009

Walked to Earlswood during the early morning. The lakes seemed quiet at first, but after waiting at the causeway for some time things improved, with 6+ Meadow Pipits, 4+ House Martins and 2+ Ravens over, plus a Kingfisher at Windmill Pool but no sign of the Mute Swan at Engine Pool. I also saw a wader flying over the lakes, gaining height then leave heading northeast (towards Marsh Lane?) but sadly couldn't identify it - seemed dark and a bit too big for Common Sandpiper, but couldn't make out a white rump though it was difficult making out any details at all - hopefully this wasn't the juvenile Spotted Redshank that was seen at Marsh Lane NR later in the day! Worst still, I saw probably a different wader fly over Engine Pool and leave heading northwards or thereabouts, but was distant and again couldn't make out much detail with my bins. Terry's Pool was alright, with 2 Marsh Tits (my first away from the SSSI), 10+ Long-tailed Tits, a Treecreeper and a singing Chiffchaff around the sides. I then went through the SSSI, covering quite a lot of it, and saw 4+ Jays and a Coal Tit; I noticed that the meadow area has been cleared and made much more accessible (photo added here) since I last visited that part, no doubt thanks to the good work of the volunteer work party. On I went around the Forshaw Heath area, visiting Graves Coppice for the first time and seeing another Coal Tit in there, whilst a Raven, 2 Meadow Pipits, 2 Swallows and a Kestrel were seen over nearby fields. Despite being tired and having not had any lunch (apart from some sloe berries!!!), I returned to the lakes and upon reaching the causeway again at c. 3:40 pm, found 2 Shovelers at Windmill Pool. From there, I headed home via the footpath that runs through fields in-between Wood Lane and Rumbush Lane, but there was hardly anything there - was hoping I might see Red-legged Partridge there.

Whilst in my garden at c. 7:50 pm, heard 2 Tawny Owls calling nearby.

M.P. Griffiths

No comments: