Friday 31 July 2009

31st July 2009

Did my second and last breeding season survey of the tetrad SP07X for Bird Atlas 2007-11, but saw less species and breeding evidence in the tetrad on this occasion, partly because I spent less than three hours at it and so covered less ground. I should note that the BTO only expect fieldworkers to spend one hour (two hours optional) surveying a tetrad, as I imagine not everyone would want to spend the amount of time I have recording every bird species they see. I managed to observe 37 species, with the best being 4+ Linnets and a Blackcap all in the tetrad's Earlswood part; also saw a Red Fox at Shawbrook (Wythall) carrying what might've been a young Common Pheasant in its mouth.
After the tetrad work, I walked through a few of the fields that border Big Clowes Wood, but a Jay, 4 House Martins and 12 Swifts were the best birds seen there. However, whilst near the railway footbridge, saw what I believe were 2 Ravens distantly and high up to the north (somewhere near Norton Lane I reckon).
M.P. Griffiths

No comments: