Thursday 23 July 2009

23rd July 2009

Passed the lakes and southwest parts of Earlswood on my bike, but not much noted although saw a flock of c. 60 House Sparrows at Forshaw Heath, which was possibly the biggest flock of this species that I've ever seen. I was on my way to Worcestershire, where some pretty good birds were seen...
M.P. Griffiths

P.S. The "pretty good" Worcestershire birds seen were 2 Ravens, a Hobby and a Kestrel at Weatheroak Hill; all seen within about 5 minutes of each other, with the two falcons seen in the air at the same time (they didn't seem to pay any attention to each other). Also, saw a distant Little Egret at Upper Bittell Reservoir, but there was no sign of a Yellow-legged Gull reported there recently.

2 comments:

midlands birder said...

well the y l gull is still there,maybe had a vacation to lower bittel

Matt Griffiths said...

There was no sign of it at Lower Bittell either when I was there.

When I first got to Upper Bittell, there was a group of large gulls on the water that I was about to search, when some dog started sniffing through my bag that I'd left on the ground some metres away. Once the owner managed to get the dog to walk on, I quickly went to check that my precious food supply was okay. Went back and the flock had disappeared, so for all I know the Yellow-legs could've been there.

This is my second bad experience with dog owners at Bittell >:(