Friday 17 July 2009

17th July 2009

Not much of note at the lakes today, just a House Martin (my first here for some weeks, I think), 8 Swallows and the 2 Mute Swans were present.
M.P. Griffiths

P.S. Since my previous post, I've updated the OS map on the right. The Ordnance Survey updated their online maps earlier this year, and so the new map here now has Earlswood Moathouse NR and the Mereside Fishing Pools among other new things marked on it (though I believe the nature reserve is marked in the wrong place; see Google map). Also, I've added a red line to mark the Earlswood area's boundary. However, whilst I'm happy with the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal, M42, Alcester Road (A435), River Cole and northwest part of Norton Lane being used for the boundary, I'm still undecided about where this should be placed at the northern parts along Rumbush Lane and Cleobury Lane. Many of the properties along these lanes have "Earlswood" in their address, but it's not clear whether the nearby fields are classed as part of Earlswood or Tidbury Green or Dickens Heath. I'd welcome people's thoughts, via email or leaving a comment.

4 comments:

midlands birder said...

wait im confused is the place where i go gardening in worcs,warwks or west mids.please help.this is a matter of which list the honey buzzard belongs too.

Matt Griffiths said...

The garden and most of Norton Lane is in West Midlands county (Solihull).

midlands birder said...

so that means i have honey buzzard on my west mids list,i also watched it fly south untill it dissapeared to view does this cross into another county and can i count it for this county too?

Matt Griffiths said...

I guess so, if you reckon it was flying over the lakes or Clowes Wood / New Fallings Coppice. You'll have to look at the Ordnance Survey map to be sure - anything south of the line with dashes and dots that stretches from Tanner's Green eastwards passed the woods and lakes to Illshaw Heath is in Warwickshire. Hope this helps.