Monday 6 April 2009

6th April 2009

During the afternoon, heard/saw 2 Willow Warblers (finally!) along the southern sides of Terry's Pool. Also at the lakes were 6+ Swallows, 2 Sand Martins and 2 singing Chiffchaffs. Birds seen away from the lakes included 10+ Fieldfares (over Hungry Horse field), 6 Linnets, 1 Kestrel, 3 Great Spotted Woddpeckers, 3 male Common Pheasants (one of which was in a garden!) and 3 Stock Doves.
Along the strip of land in-between Terry's Pool and Engine Pool, I found a Wren with fishing line down its throat dangling from a twig. I managed to free it from the twig and was thinking what to do next (didn't have the RSPCA's telephone number) and then the Wren managed to escape from my hand. Sadly I couldn't find the Wren again and left feeling really bad that I hadn't managed to keep hold of it - it'll probably get stuck to a twig again and die. Damn fishermen!!!
M.P. Griffiths

No comments: